Our Booming Economy
Through the creation of Kennedy Space Center in 1969, Brevard County not only underwent a significant economic transformation, but also obtained its nickname, Space Coast. Now almost 40 years later, the Space Center is still contributing to the county’s economic growth with 15,000 employees and is also joined by agriculture, citrus production, and the manufacturing of scientific and electronic equipment.
With approximately 1.2 million visitors a year, tourism is also a large contributor to the economy. Through a combination of these attributes, the Space Coast ranks among the top Ten Florida Counties in terms of small business establishments, total employment, labor force growth, and total prime working age (18-44).
Diverse Educational System
We know Education is Important…and Brevard County ranks among the best in the state when it comes to education. Here are just a few reasons why the county is so highly ranked:
- In 2005 Brevard students had higher SAT scores than any other School District in Florida.
- Within the 10 largest districts, Brevard has ranked first in the number of grade “A” rated schools.
- In 2006 & 2007 students in Brevard won almost a third of the state science fair prizes, including the most first prize awards.
- Selected by his peers, the superintendent of Brevard schools was selected best in state.
- According to the Florida Dept. of Education, 5 of the top 10 Elementary Schools lye in the District.
- At the 2007 Robotics World Championships, a team consisting of Brevard County high school students took second place.
- Cocoa Beach High School’s International Baccalaureate program ranked among Newsweek’s top 100 US High Schools in 2005 & 2006.
- Brevard high schools lead the state in the number of students dual enrolled in secondary and college courses.
Many Space Coast Amenities
With Orlando only an hour away, you can have the booming experience of a metropolis with major theme parks like Disney, Universal Studios, or Sea World and major sporting events, shows, etc. and then come back to the serenity of the small town feel in Brevard County. Don’t be mistaken though! The Space Coast also has some terrific amenities as well.
Year Round Recreation
With its consistent climate, Brevard County has the ability to offer outdoor recreation nearly year-round. With more golf courses than any other place in the world, Florida is a well-known, popular destination for golfers. Being one of the best places to golf in Florida, Brevard County boasts 28 various private & public courses from the North to the South of the county. In fact, golf in Brevard is so popular that many home builders develop communities around golf courses to attract residents.
With 72 miles of beaches, Brevard County, specifically Cocoa Beach, is a well-known Mecca when it comes to surfing. But there’s more to Brevard than just surfing. With 35% of the county being made up of rivers and lakes, if surfing doesn’t intrigue your interest there are many other water activities available on the Space Coast. Between Brevard’s major waterways, the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway and the St. Johns River, this is a fisherman and boaters paradise. Don’t have a boat? No worries. Boat charters are accessible and very popular in the Port Canaveral area. Deep-sea fishing is among the most popular charters available and are typically run on a weekly basis (weather permitting). Other great water activities include sailing, kayaking, windsurfing, paddle boarding, wake-boarding, water skiing, and jet skiing.